Everyday life is the special occasion!

December 04, 2013

Rabanadas - Childhood Memories #6


As amazingly as it may seem, for years they have invaded our holiday table and I never tasted them ! As I thought I wouldn't  like them ,I've never even bothered trying them . I distinctly remember the incredible aroma that stood in the kitchen while my mother prepared two or three trays pretty full of them, but it took me some time to yield my characteristic stubbornness. However , the moment I took a bite ,they soon became one of my favorite Christmas treats ( tasty , fluffy , aromatic , I would devour one after another) especially if cold , accompanied by a good cup of latte , and especially because they are  still shared with my sweet mother !

Ingredients:

  • 2 loafs with 3 days
  • 1l milk
  • 6 eggs
  • 200g sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • cinnamon and sugar
  • lemon peel
  • sunflower oil

In a pan , add the milk , cinnamon stick , 2-3 tablespoons of sugar and lemon peel and bring to a boil . Beat the eggs and set aside. Cut the loafs into slices 2 fingers thick and set aside. Then , after boiling the milk remove the lemon peel and the cinnamon stick and dip the bread slices in the milk , then soak it in the eggs on both sides andand fry in hot oil .Finally drain them in a  tray
coated with paper napkins, then sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon .




Por incrível que pareça, durante anos invadiram a nossa mesa natalícia e eu nem as provava! Como achava que não gostava, nem me dava ao trabalho de experimentar. Lembro- me perfeitamente do aroma incrível que pairava no ar da cozinha enquanto a minha mãe preparava dois ou três tabuleiros bem cheios delas, mas demorei algum tempo a ceder a minha caraterística teimosia. No entanto, assim que as traguei, logo se tornaram num dos meus doces de natal preferidos (saborosas, macias, aromáticas, devoro uma atrás de outra) principalmente se frias, acompanhadas de uma boa chávena de latte e, sobretudo, porque ainda partilhadas com a minha doce mãe!


Ingredientes:
  • 2 cacetes/ pães de forma com 3 dias
  • 1 l de leite
  • 6 ovos
  • 200g açúcar
  • 1 pau de canela
  • canela e açúcar q.b.
  • casca de limão
  • óleo de girassol

Num tacho, junte o leite, o pau de canela, 2 a 3 colheres de sopa de açúcar e a casca de limão e leve a ferver. Depois à parte bata os ovos e reserve. Corte o cacete em fatias de 2 dedos de grossura e reserve. De seguida, e após fervido o leite retire a casca de limão e o pau de canela e passe as fatias de pão no leite e em seguida ensope nos ovos de um lado e outro e frite no óleo bem quente.Por fim escorrer num tabuleiro revestido com  guardanapos de papel, e depois polvilhe com uma mistura de açúcar e canela.





















11 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Surely I'm trying they look so delicious!
    Hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Já começam mesmo a apetecer!
    O Natal está perto :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aos anos que não como rabanadas, mas acho que este ano vou quebrar o jejum e fazer assim para um brunch nas férias de Natal ;)
    http://fashionfauxpas-mintjulep.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aida! I never heard about this typical Xmas treat and it looks like something I would definitely taste. It is so fluffy and for sure delicious, your childhood memories are very sweet. Kisses and hugs my dear, have a good day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Há anos que não como,pois quando fazia eram só para mim e acaba por deitar fora.
    Mas este ano estão apetecer, e ver estas fiquei com mais vontade ainda.
    Estas-me mesmo a tentar, acho que vou fazer meia duzia só para mim.
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olá Aida

    Assim vc quer me matar.
    Obrigada por ter passado ontem, no blog e dar a sua opinião. Seu desejo pode se tornar realidade.Venha participar do SORTEIO / GIVEAWAY INTERNACIONAL e concorrer a um cupom de compras no valor de $40 para comprar um montão de coisas.

    AMIGA DA MODA by Kinha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also a cook, eat watered them condensed milk or honey)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd most certainly donate to this brilliant blog!
    I suppose for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this site with my
    Facebook group. Chat soon!

    Also visit my weblog: ways to make extra money

    ReplyDelete
  9. me recuerda mi infancia que mis padres hacían esas rebanadas ala desayuno

    ReplyDelete
  10. they look sooooo good! if been following your blog for more than year and I love it! I just decided to start my own blog and I’ll love if yoy can follow me back! and if you have any advise let me know!! thank you!

    http://walkingaroundbcn.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete